Transitions of Care Committee - How to Get Involved
Transition of Care Committee Member
The Transition of Care Committee brings together youth, parents/caregivers, health care providers and community partners. Our goal is to improve the transition from pediatric to adult medical care. (Transition happens as a youth prepares to move from pediatric care to health care for adults). The committee’s work may include shaping policy and practice, creating educational materials, program development, research and evaluation, and strategic planning.
Our committee includes:
- Youth aged 13 to 24 years who have a chronic illness or disability
- Parents/caregivers of youth who will be transferring or have already transferred to adult health care
- Community partners and health care providers who work with young adults, and
- IWK staff and physicians.
Committee members have personal or professional experience moving from pediatric to adult medical care. We use this knowledge to improve transition care. Our goal is to reflect the IWK’s diverse patient population from across Atlantic Canada.
What does the role require of me?
We ask you to make a one to two year commitment (starting in October each year). This commitment includes:
- Going to the first orientation meeting in late September
- Monthly meetings on the first Monday of each month, from 5pm-7pm, October-June
- Project work outside of the monthly meetings
You’ll also need to complete the requirements to become an IWK Volunteer
Why should I become a member of the Transition of Care committee?
- You’ll help improve the transition from pediatric to adult health care
- You’ll build leadership skills and gain volunteer experience
- You’ll learn more about transition and the health care system
- You’ll be a part of creating positive change
How easy is it to participate?
- It may be possible to join in the meetings by telephone or on-line
- Please note; during COVID-19, our meetings are on-line or by telephone
- When meeting in person, funding for transportation, parking, and childcare may be available to help patients and family members attend. A light supper is provided.
How do I apply?
Please return the completed application to the Transition Coordinator at IWKtransition@iwk.nshealth.ca or call 902-470-3772 for more information.
Click here to download application