Emergency: 911
Telecare: 811
Poison: 1-800-565-8161
5850/5980 University Ave., Halifax, NS B3K 6R8

I think I have some mental health or addictions issues? How do I get help?

Parents, Family, Friends - I've Got Questions
  • Home
  • »
  • for parents
  • »
  • I think I have some mental health or addictions issues? How do I get help?

When your child receives help is often the first time parents/caregivers pause to think about their own well-being. Adults are often too busy working and caring for others to take care of themselves. But seeking help for a mental illness or addiction shouldn’t be any different than seeking help for a broken arm or high blood pressure.  

A good place to start is with your family doctor. Talk to them about how you are feeling. Depending on your symptom, your doctor may treat you.  Or they may refer you to a local community mental health team or a private practitioner.   

In Nova Scotia, every district health authority offers services for adults with mental health and addictions. You don’t need a doctor’s referral. Just call and request an appointment. 

Adult services within the Central Halifax Region

Adult services in other Nova Scotia District Health Authorities

Province-wide Addictions services

There are also private practice options. In most areas there are psychologists, psychiatrists and social workers who see patients privately. If you have extended health benefits through your employer, the cost of your treatment may be covered. Check with your benefits provider for more information.

Here are some helpful links.  

Association of Psychologists of Nova Scotia – Find A Psychologist

Registered Social Workers in Nova Scotia in Private Practice

Canadian Psychiatric Association  - Finding a Psychiatrist in Your Area

If you want to read more, here is a great fact sheet.