COVID-19 Updates
IWK & COVID-19: Latest Updates
Hotline: 1-902-233-3495



Emergency: 911
Telecare: 811
Poison: 1-800-565-8161
5850/5980 University Ave., Halifax, NS B3K 6R8

How do I get service

Our Services
  • Home
  • »
  • How do I get service

Make the Call to Central Referral

If you need help with a mental health and addictions problem, Central Referral is there to help. At the IWK we offer mental health and addictions service for children and youth under the age of 19. Please call 902.464.4110 or toll free 1.855.922.1122

Central Referral can help you get an appointment for mental health and addictions services. You can call yourself or your family doctor, other health care or education professionals can make a referral on your behalf. If a health care or education professional completes the referral form and sends it in, you will still need to call in to book a Choice appointment time. 

After the Call to Central Referral

When you call Central Referral, a clinician will spend about 15-20 minutes on the phone with you. They will get your contact information, determine if you are eligible for service, find out about your concern and complete a risk assessment and complete a questionnaire. The Strengths and Difficulty Questionnaire (SDQ) is a brief survey that is completed prior to receiving an appointment.

A Choice Appointment at the IWK

You will then be offered an opportunity to come to meet with a mental health clinician for a first appointment - called a Choice appointment at the Community Mental Health and Addictions clinic that is closest to where you live.

A Choice appointment is an opportunity to meet with a clinician to:

- Find out about the mental health problem that you are concerned about;
- Provide you with enough information to make an informed choice about what to do next;
- Explain the variety of services and interventions available.

For more information on what happens in a choice appointment click here