IWK Foundation Translating Research into Care (TRIC) Healthcare Improvement Research Program
Translating Research into Care (TRIC) program was established in 2013 at the IWK Health Centre and the QEII Health Sciences Centre to support research, at the point of care, that will yield strong evidence and facilitate the translation of clinical science into improved delivery of service and patient care.
The competition takes place annually with a deadline of September 14 at 4pm.
Applicants are asked to pre-register their TRIC project idea by completing the Registration Form and submitting it at least four weeks before the TRIC application deadline of September 14th.
Level 1: up to $ 3,000
Level 2: up to $ 30,000
Level 3: up to $ 60,000
- The Scientific Co-Principal Investigator must be an employee, medical staff member, or have an affiliate scientist or medical appointment at the institution where the research will take place and for the duration of the proposed project, if the application is successful (IWK).
- It is recommended that at least one team member attend at least one TRIC workshop and/or review the TRIC Presentations on the website prior to submitting their application.
- Administrative Co-Principal Investigators must possess signing authority for the relevant departmental/unit budget; authority to approve and support the implementation of a healthcare improvement plan; and authority to sustain a successfully implemented plan.
- All healthcare improvements that require changes to be made to the Health Centres IT system must be approved prior to submission.
Before considering an application to the TRIC Program, applicants applying for level two and three funding should be able to answer yes to the following questions about implementation and sustainability:
- Will this research change practice?
- Will this practice change have an impact on the health system and/or patient care?
- Is there solid evidence for this practice change in the literature?
- Is this practice change supported by the Administrative Co-PI?
- Is the impact of this project likely to be sustainable over the long term?
- Level 2 and 3 applications that do not meet the criteria above will not be considered for funding.
*Implementation science is the study of methods to promote the integration of research findings and evidence into healthcare policy and practice. For more information, see the TRIC Workshop Schedule or visit National Institutes of Health.
Preparing Your TRIC Grant
- Information about the TRIC program is found in the TRIC Application Guidelines document (additional resources and documents are available below).
- To ensure that you are using the most recent TRIC guidelines and application forms, please check this website prior to preparing your grant application. Updates are made to improve these documents after each funding competition.
- Application deadline is September 14 at 4 PM. When this date falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be the following business day at 4:00 p.m.
- Research Design: Any study design is acceptable as long as it is robust and appropriate for the purposes of the research. The evidence from the research needs to be convincing and inform a feasible plan for healthcare improvement that can be successfully implemented and supported by the healthcare system. Research designs may include, but are not limited to, RCTs, systematic reviews, surveys and observational studies.
- TRIC grants focused on de-adoption should demonstrate: how the low-value clinical practices were identified; a plan for the de-adoption process; the evaluation of the de-adoption; and how the de-adoption will be sustained.
- If you require consultation or assistance with research design, methodology, data analysis and/or research ethics, please contact Dr. Jill Hatchette, Research Services email@example.com or 902-471-3971.
Submitting Your TRIC Grant
- Please submit one electronic PDF file to Sandy Berry.
- Large files over 5 MB should use the HITS-NS SEND secure file transfer system.
- Please do not submit applications from a gmail or hotmail account as firewalls may prevent them from being delivered.
- Do not submit a paper copy.
- Incomplete or ineligible applications will not be considered.
- Funding Notifications: will be sent within approximately three months of the application deadline.
- TRIC awards MUST be held in an IWK Health Centre research account.
- Reports: Recipients of Level 1 grants are required to submit a final report. Recipients of Level 2 and 3 grants are required to submit an interim report and a final report. A reminder will be sent to the Scientific and Administrative Co-PI’s in advance of the report deadline.
- Funding Acknowledgement: All publications arising from your TRIC grant should be acknowledged appropriately in the funding disclosure section of the manuscript and should state the following: This work was supported by IWK Health Centre Foundation’s Translating Research into Care Healthcare Improvement Research Funding Program [followed by the grant number and year of funding award in square brackets].
QEII Times: Dr. Karthik Tennankore and Cynthia Stockman
QEII Times: Dr. Stacy Ackroyd
CTV Report: Dr. Lee Kirby
Global TV Interview: Dr. Patrick McGrath and Dr. Kathleen Pajer
Media Release February 17, 2014
CBC Report: Dr. Jill Chorney and Pamela Ellis
BC Report: Dr. Brett Taylor and MaryAnn Hiltz
TRIC Competition Results
TRIC Grant Recipients May 2019
TRIC Grant Recipients November 2019
Research Site Map
IWK Health Centre Research Services
5850/5980 University Ave
PO Box 9700
Nova Scotia, B3K 6R8
If you have a general question about research, our services, facilities or programs please email us below.
If you are looking for a specific individual from one of our departments or facilities please select the button below to view the research services team (individual contact information is provided here).
If you would like to be added to our mailing list and receive our monthly Newsletter let us know. Our Newsletter is updated with upcoming educational opportunities and accomplishments. Be part of our research community.