General Criteria for all Advisors:
- Be positive and supportive of the IWK Health Centre mission, vision and values.
- Respect the collaborative process and the committee as the forum to discuss issues.
- Be able to listen and reflect on issues and priorities that are different than your own.
- Be comfortable speaking in a group environment.
- Be able to fulfill the time commitment and work towards achieving Committee initiatives.
In Patient and Family Advisors (at the IWK):
- To participate as a Patient/Family Advisors and full Committee member if chosen.
- To provide patient and family perspective and be fully involved in the committee’s decision making processes.
- Commitment to attend regular meetings (most often monthly).
- To participate in educational opportunities for staff and Patient/Family Advisors as time and/or interest allow.
- Be willing to register as a Patient/Family Advisor through our Volunteer Services program which includes criminal background and child abuse registry checks (reimbursed to you).
- To be aware of IWK policies and procedures that apply to this work and to work in unity with them, including confidentiality.
- Commit to read documents in preparation for each meeting and to respond to email in a timely manner.
All backgrounds and experiences:
We are looking for Patient and Family Advisors from all backgrounds, age groups, and experiences. Current and former patients, adult patients, parents/guardians, grandparents, partners/spouses, siblings, daughters/sons, etc. All of your voices are important and needed.
Further, our belief is that IWK Patient and Family Advisors should reflect the cultural and social diversity of the patients and families who use IWK care and services each and every day. Diversity can be ethic, racial, spiritual, economic, educational, geographic, gender, sexual orientation, unique family structure, disability-related, chronic illness, single parent, full-time parent, etc.
We fully welcome and encourage patients and families from all backgrounds and experiences to consider becoming an Advisor.