Who May Visit The Family Resource Library?
Everyone! The Family Resource Library is for patients and families. But IWK staff can borrow from us, too. The public may borrow most items. We have health resources on many topics.
The library is on level 2 of the IWK. We are near the purple elevators, Women's Site entrance. (This entrance is at the corner of University Avenue and Robie Street)
Open Monday to Friday. We have a return slot on our wall in the hallway. We have a yellow return box in the main doors of the Children’s Site, University Ave.
Call the library desk at 902-470-8351. E-mail:
For pamphlets on health topics written by IWK departments please click here.
Can Adults, Teens and Children Find Health Resources at the Library?
Yes! The Family Resource Library has health information for all ages. We have resources in French and English. The librarian, staff, and volunteers can help. We keep all requests private.
How to Borrow Books and Health Videos:
You may borrow health books and videos for two weeks. You can renew by phone or in person. It is easy and free to borrow! We register your address and IWK room number (if you have one).
We have hundreds of books, DVDs and VHS tapes. They are easy to understand. They are about:
• Child and teen health and safety
• Women’s health and wellness
• Pregnancy and newborn care
• Mental Health
• Medical tests and treatment
• Diseases, conditions and disabilities
• Parenting and baby name books
How to Get Printed Articles:
We can find and print free health articles for you. We can mail articles to your home.
Are There Family Computers? Can Children Play in the Library?
Yes! The library is place to relax alone or with your family. (Children must be with an adult.)
• A family computer room with Internet access and a printer
• Toys and puzzles, colouring books and crayons
• Picture books and board books for children and babies
• Novels and health books for children, teens and adults
• Parents Magazine, teen magazines, comic books, and a daily newspaper
May We Borrow Movies and Video Games to take to Our Room?
Yes, if you are staying at the IWK! We have video games and movies for IWK patients only. You may take 2 video games and 3 movies for IWK use. They are due back by next day’s end.